• If you have received a letter of complaint, it is polite to reply to it. The purpose for writing a letter of apology is to explain the reason(s) for the problems stated in the letter of complaint and to ensure that the situation will be resolved/improved. You may also offer some form of compensation.
• A letter of apology is written in a formal style and requires a dignified and polite tone.
• You should deal with each aspect of the complaint in a separate paragraph.
• Opening remarks:
I am writing to apologise for... /offer my apologies for...
Please accept my/our sincere/profuse apologies for (the unavoidable delay, etc)
I must/would like to apologise for (the unfortunate confusion, etc).
• To introduce new points: With regard to/As regards ... As far as ... is/are concerned ... Firstly/First of all/Secondly/Finally,...
• To emphasise what you say: Clearly/Obviously/Needless to say,...
In fact/As a matter of fact/Actually/lndeed,...
Please allow me to offer/suggest... as compensation (for...). I insist on (+ ing) to make up for your loss/inconvenience, etc.
• Closing remarks:
Once again, my/our sincere(st) apologies for the inconvenience caused. I hope that you will accept my apologies/that my apologies will be accepted. I hope that you can forgive/overlook this regrettable error.
1 Fill in the correct words/phrases from the list below. Try to include them in your letters.
inevitable, gift voucher, isolated incident, circumstances beyond our control, at your disposal, compliments, complimentary, oversight
1 I assure you that this is a(n) (single occurrence which is unlikely to happen again)
2 Unfortunately due to , we will not be able to offer an alternative venue for the concert, (something which we have no control over)
3 Failure to repair the equipment was due to a(n) on our part.
(failure to notice something)
4 It is that our prices will rise periodically, (certain)
5 We are delighted to enclose tickets for our forthcoming concert, by way of compensation, (free)
6 A complete refund cannot be given but a(n)
for the amount has been enclosed, (token)
IfltfOdUCllOR Paragraph 1
state reason(s) for writing
Was this article helpful?