Set up a protagonist/antagonist relationship between two characters.
1. Sketch your hero. Use the questions below to guide your sketch.
• What is your character's quest or journey in this story? What desire compels him?
• What are her obstacles? Weaknesses? Strengths?
• What is your character's backstory?
• What similarities does the antagonist have with your hero? Note that while Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort are sketched as embodying good and evil, they, like many other pairs of foils, are cut from similar cloth.
• What differentiates your foil from your protagonist?
• What is the nature of their conflict?
• What is the antagonist's backstory?
3. Now create a scene in which these two characters interact.
Was this article helpful?