1. Write a scene using exposition, but make it exciting.
2. Write a scene of emotional conflict by using just dialogue.
3. Listen to people talking whenever you are in public places.
4. Record the conversations in a notebook.
5. Write a scene based on an overhead conversation. Make it dramatic.
6. Record your dialogue into a tape recorder. Does it sound conversational or like a monologue?
7. Write a scene using different character types and make each speech pattern unique and distinct.
8. Write a scene using only monosyllables and nothing else. Do you have conflict and tension?
Was this article helpful?