To recapitulate the major points of this chapter:
1. Make every background detail work.
2. Don't try to explain how the machinery works; just show what it does.
3. Feel free to invent any new devices or scientific discoveries that you can imagine— providing they do not contradict what is known about science today.
4. Be thoroughly familiar with the background of your story.
5. Learn the basics of science.
6. Names are important.
7. The background — and the story itself—must be internally consistent.
Was this article helpful?