• Divide a word only between syllables.
• Do not divide words of one syllable.
length not leng-th, straight not st-raight
• Do not divide a word between syllables if one of the syllables contains fewer than three letters.
enough not e-nough, starter not start-er
• The following two-syllable words show correct division:
com-plete, per-form, ring-ing
• Do not divide proper nouns nor separate title, initials, or first name from a last name.
• Divide a word having double consonants between the consonants.
• If a word contains a double consonant as the result of adding a suffix, divide the word between the two letters.
excel excel-ling swim swim-ming
• If double consonants in a word precede the suffix, do not divide the two.
call call-ing guess guess-ing
Was this article helpful?