• Numbers are usually written in full when no more than two words are required.
More than five thousand people attended the game. There were fifteen in the Latin class. The study hall seats seventy-five.
• Numbers requiring more than two words are written in figures.
I worked on a 750 acre ranch.
According to the last census, the population of Long Beach is 370,000.
NOTE: A sentence should never begin or end with a number expressed in figures.
One hundred twenty-five students took the college entrance test.
• Figures are used to express dates, street numbers, telephone numbers, scores, statistics and other numerical results, exact amounts of money, time, chapters, pages, or groups of numbers that are used in a single passage.
I was born on May 20, 1949.
Her address is 1817 Loma Avenue.
Call 437-0171 for employment information.
At the end of the game, the score was 29 to 14.
The car cost him $6,000.
Read chapters 5, 9, and 10.
• In formal types of writing, such as formal invitations, numbers are written in full.
• Use numerals for decimals and fractions.
Was this article helpful?